If you are going to write in a certain genre you should continue to read that genre. Not only will you enjoy seeing what other authors are doing, but it can also keep you abreast of the latest quirks or changes in certain genres. Study the best seller lists in your particular genre and then read some of the more popular authors as well as others. While you want to be as
individual and unique as possible, you also don’t want to lose readers because you have fallen behind the current topics readers are looking for.
Keeping current on what is selling and what writers are currently writing can help you in your own career.
● Know the latest changes in your genre
● Make certain you are staying current with your own work
● Study different writing styles in your genre and don’t be
afraid to experiment
● Know which changes in the genre might work for your
own writing style but don’t force yourself to adapt to
something that won’t work for you
● Stay current on best sellers in your genre
● Be ready to try something new, but don’t force yourself If
you see it won’t work for you